Man charged with attempted murder after alleged knife attack
A 23-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after four people were injured in an alleged knife attack in Hamilton.
Emergency services responded to reports of a serious assault on Churchill Ave, Maeroa, about 8.55pm on Saturday.
Three people were reportedly assaulted and had suffered serious injuries that were consistent with stab wounds.
Police said one of the victims had fled the scene on foot, seeking help at a nearby residence.
One critically injured person remained in hospital in a stable condition today and three others had been discharged.
Police said they had finished examining the scene but the public could expect an ongoing increased police presence in the area.
Detective Senior Sergeant Ian Foster acknowledged the Churchill Ave residents who “witnessed this distressing incident and have assisted with our inquiries.”
“If you are yet to speak with us and witnessed the incident or captured video footage, including CCTV, of the events that unfolded around 8.50pm on Saturday, 15 August, please get in touch.
“I would also like to commend the police staff that responded to this incident and worked hard to stop the alleged offender before anyone else was hurt.”
Any information can be provided through 105, either online or over the phone, and reference file number 260816/0504.
You can also provide information anonymously through Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.
A 23-year-old man was due in Hamilton District Court today charged with aggravated burglary, two counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and attempted murder.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you