ZB ZB
Sport
100 Years of ZB
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

Listen: 100 Years of ZB Podcast hosted by Mike Hosking

Murder accused appears in Hamilton court after discovery of woman’s body

Author
Herald Reporters & Mike Scott,
Publish Date
Thu, 20 Aug 2026, 4:00pm
A 21-year-old man has been charged with murder after the discovery of a body in Hamilton yesterday. Photo / Mike Scott
A 21-year-old man has been charged with murder after the discovery of a body in Hamilton yesterday. Photo / Mike Scott

A man charged with murdering a woman at a Hamilton address has appeared in court and been granted suppression.

Waikato police launched an investigation after the woman was found dead at a Rototuna property yesterday afternoon.

The death was initially described as unexplained. However, police have now charged a 21-year-old man with the woman’s murder.

The accused made a brief appearance in Hamilton District Court this afternoon.

He walked into the courtroom with his head bowed, wearing an orange tracksuit.

About eight family members and supporters were in court for the appearance.

Crown prosecutor Matthew Temm successfully sought suppression of the victim’s name and any identifying features until a plea was entered.

Defence lawyer Jessica Tarrant confirmed her client wouldn’t be making a bail application but was seeking name suppression.

Judge Stephen Clark made interim suppression orders for both the defendant and victim.

He remanded the accused man in custody to reappear in the High Court at Hamilton on September 1.

A heavy police presence remained at the Rototuna property this morning, including about six police vehicles and a forensics trailer. Photo / Mike Scott
A heavy police presence remained at the Rototuna property this morning, including about six police vehicles and a forensics trailer. Photo / Mike Scott

The judge also ordered the preparation of mental health reports assessing the man’s fitness to plead.

In a statement this morning announcing the arrest, Detective Senior Sergeant Reece Durston said: “Police will continue to maintain a visible presence in the area in the coming days as a scene examination concludes.”

Police said they believed the incident involved “people known to one another” and no one else was being sought.

“Police believe there is no risk to the public following this incident.”

A Herald reporter at the scene this morning said a cordon had been erected across two properties.

About six police vehicles were parked on the street as well as a forensic police trailer.

Neighbours told the Herald they did not see or hear anything unusual yesterday and did not know the victim.

They first realised something had happened when they noticed police descend on the street yesterday afternoon.

Police are today combing an address for evidence after a 21-year-old man was charged with the woman's murder. Photo / Mike Scott
Police are today combing an address for evidence after a 21-year-old man was charged with the woman's murder. Photo / Mike Scott

Police had spoken to neighbours and asked if they had any information about what had occurred.

A police officer is standing guard outside the house while forensic personnel come and go from the property.

In a statement yesterday, Durston said a scene investigation was underway after a sudden death in the northern Hamilton suburb.

“The death is being treated as unexplained,” he said yesterday.

A cordon had been established and police would have a “visible presence” in the coming days.

Anyone with information about the incident was asked to call the 105 non-emergency line, referencing Operation Hatherly or file number 260819/2161.

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you