ZB ZB
Opinion
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

Red hat assault: Three charged after youth attacked in Whakatāne

Author
Bay of Plenty Times,
Publish Date
Wed, 18 Feb 2026, 2:03pm
Four people have been arrested after an alleged attack in Whakatāne on February 9. Photo / Bevan Conley
Four people have been arrested after an alleged attack in Whakatāne on February 9. Photo / Bevan Conley

Red hat assault: Three charged after youth attacked in Whakatāne

Author
Bay of Plenty Times,
Publish Date
Wed, 18 Feb 2026, 2:03pm

Four people have been arrested after a gang-related assault outside The Warehouse in Whakatāne.

The incident involved a group of youths allegedly attacking another youth on February 9.

The victim was reportedly targeted for wearing a red hat.

In a statement today, police said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Monday, February 16, and has been remanded in custody ahead of his next appearance in the Whakatāne District Court on March 12.

“Two further men, aged 20 and 36, were arrested yesterday, and will appear in the Whakatāne District Court today.”

Police said a fourth person, a 30-year-old man, will appear in Whakatāne District Court tomorrow.

All four have been charged with aggravated robbery.

Whakatāne Senior Sergeant Cam Mackinnon previously told the Whakatāne Beacon that the attack highlighted a need for police in the central business district.

“Police are willing to increase their presence in town; the recent incident outside The Warehouse highlights the need for that.”

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you