Electoral Commission sees fuel availability and price volatility as an ‘active election delivery risk’
Planning documents show fuel supply and price changes are seen as an “active risk” for delivering the November 7 general election.
Ongoing conflict in the Middle East, including closures of the Strait of Hormuz, a key trading link, has caused fuel prices to rise.
A Ministry of Justice briefing to Justice Minister Paul Goldsmith about a late June meeting with the Electoral Commission has been released to Newstalk ZB under the Official Information Act.
Justice officials said the Commission had advised fuel cost increases were manageable within baseline funding, but noted concerns.
“Fuel availability and price volatility remain an active election delivery risk, particularly for rural travel, temporary staff deployment, and access to voting places,” the briefing said.
The document stated the commission had been developing contingency plans “should the situation worsen” – which align with the National Fuel Plan. The contingency plan is currently in draft form.
The Electoral Commission has been identified as an essential service.
Chief Electoral Officer Karl Le Quesne said the commission already plans for voting places to be in convenient locations where people live and work, and on public transport routes.
The commission is in the process of finalising voting place locations, including mobile voting services.
“[We] have evaluated proximity to voters as part of our assessment of our coverage. Through our planning we are in a state of readiness to adapt if required,” Le Quesne said.
“We will deliver around 70,000 hours of voting across the country and there will be opportunity for people to plan when and where they vote, at a time and place that suits them.
“We also have alternative ways of voting if people are unable to get to a voting place,” He said.
The fuel situation had earlier in the year prompted the Government to release a four-level fuel response plan to deal with disruptions.
The pre-election briefing also said it expected enrolment numbers to remain relatively stable until the Electoral Commission’s enrolment update campaign beginning this week, with “stronger increases” expected from then.
Officials said the commission would focus on encouraging people to enrol or update their details early: “This is intended to reduce avoidable special votes and manage operational pressure during the election period”.
The commission is also planning on “targeted community activity” including work with community groups and public sector partners to reach “lower-participation communities”.
The commission’s focus includes young people, with the document stating youth enrolment is “expected to increase” through targeted enrolment activity.
“Mobile enrolment activity and enrolment hubs are expected to support targeted outreach closer to the election. Officials will continue to monitor whether planned campaign activity delivers the expected uplift, particularly from mid-August onward,” the briefing said.
Security was also described as a “key focus area” for election delivery.
Justice officials also said trust and confidence had improved in the commission since 2024/25 following “a period of decline after the 2023 General Election”.
Azaria Howell is a multimedia reporter working from Parliament’s press gallery. She joined NZME in 2022 and became a Newstalk ZB political reporter in late 2024, with a keen interest in public service agency reform and government spending.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you