Date confirmed for Eden Park State of Origin clash
The historic State of Origin match between New South Wales and Queensland at Eden Park will be played on June 16 – game two of the three-game series.
The clash will be the centrepiece of a major week of rugby league in Auckland, with the Warriors confirmed to play at Eden Park on Sunday, June 13. They are also playing there on Anzac Day.
While the date for the Origin fixture has been announced, the kickoff time is still to be announced but it’s understood an agreement has been reached, which will likely be after 9pm to accommodate the Australian broadcasters.
Having game-two rights is massive as it means the winners of the shield could be determined on New Zealand soil, depending on the outcome of the opening game.
The series opener will be played at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane before heading to Eden Park, with game three taking place at Sydney’s Accor Stadium.
Tātaki Auckland Unlimited director Annie Dundas told the Herald this was a big opportunity for the city to showcase itself as a true events destination.
“We’ve got potentially two weekends that we hope Aussies will travel over for,” Dundas said.
“The Warriors game kicks that off on the first weekend and we’ve got the match on Wednesday night at Eden Park, the second game. So we’re building out content all week.
“There’ll be amazing live performance, there’ll be activity, activations going on across the city throughout the week. It’s a reason to not just come for the night, not just come for the first weekend, but possibly stay for the second as well.”
Plans are underway for events and fan zones, with appearances from players, and State of Origin legends in attendance.
New Zealand’s Tourism and Hospitality Minister Louise Upston welcomed confirmation of the date and the next milestone in preparations to host the historic fixture in Auckland.
“The countdown is officially on for New Zealand’s first-ever State of Origin match,” Upston said.
“We are excited to welcome Blues and Maroons fans from across Australia and to give Kiwi rugby league supporters the chance to witness this iconic rivalry first-hand.
“It will be a historic occasion for New Zealand and a fantastic opportunity to showcase Kiwi hospitality and our beautiful country to international visitors.“
Tourism Minister Louise Upston (front from left), former New South Wales rep Ryan Hoffman, Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, former Queensland rep Johnathan Thurston and Dr Gary Weiss walk out of the players' tunnel at Eden Park. Photo / Michael Craig
In February, the Government and Auckland Council Events announced they had co-funded a $5 million hosting fee to secure game two of the 2027 State of Origin series – the first time an Origin match will be played in New Zealand.
The only other time State of Origin was played outside Australia was in 1987 as part of an exhibition in Los Angeles.
Hosting State of Origin is expected to attract more than 10,000 visitors and inject $17.4 million into the Auckland economy.
Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown says confirmation of the date is another exciting milestone.
“Bringing State of Origin to New Zealand for the first time is a big win for Auckland,” Brown said.
“It’s one of the biggest events in Australasian sport and we’re looking forward to putting on something special for fans here and those travelling across the Tasman.
“Now the date is locked in, fans can start making their plans. We want them to come for more than just the game – make a week of it and experience Auckland’s take on State of Origin, in the stadium and around the city.”
Eden Park Stadium CEO Nick Sautner (left) and Prime Minister Christopher Luxon at Eden Park in February. Photo / Michael Craig
Eden Park is starting to delve into hosting more rugby league matches, with the Kiwis’ Pacific Championship test against Tonga last year, while the Warriors will stage two games there.
The stadium was also thrown up as a possible host for the 2028 NRL grand final, although no formal discussions have taken place with the relevant authorities.
Eden Park chief executive Nick Sautner said he’s excited for what’s to come.
“With the Warriors on Sunday and State of Origin on Wednesday, we want the stadium and precinct alive with fans, activity and entertainment, building to what will be an extraordinary night for rugby league,” Sautner said.
“We are planning a programme of special events across Eden Park throughout the week, including activating the Outer Oval, providing fans more reasons to come and be part of the build-up to State of Origin – not simply arriving for kickoff on Wednesday night.
“This is an opportunity to do much more than host a rugby league match – it is an opportunity for Eden Park to help deliver a week that showcases Auckland and New Zealand to the world.”
Both New South Wales and Queensland will head into the series with new coaches at the helm, after Laurie Daley and Billy Slater both stood down.
Matt King has already been appointed to replace Daley at the Blues, while Queensland are in the process of finding a new coach, with Kevin Walters, Matt Ballin and New Zealand-born Ben Te’o all mentioned as possible successors.
New South Wales are the reigning champions, having claimed a 2-1 series win earlier this year.
Tickets for the game go on sale in November.
Ben Francis is an Auckland-based reporter for the New Zealand Herald who covers breaking sports news.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you