ZB ZB
Sport
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

Painting ploy: UK men allegedly used fake company to scam Auckland couple out of $27k

Author
NZ Herald,
Publish Date
Thu, 21 May 2026, 3:16pm
The fake company failed to provide a service after taking a $27,000 deposit. Photo / 123rf
The fake company failed to provide a service after taking a $27,000 deposit. Photo / 123rf

Painting ploy: UK men allegedly used fake company to scam Auckland couple out of $27k

Author
NZ Herald,
Publish Date
Thu, 21 May 2026, 3:16pm

A British man is in custody after allegedly scamming thousands from an Auckland couple for a fake paint job.

Police allege the man and his associate, another British national, used a fake company called Everlast Home Improvements to scam a couple from Mt Albert by failing to provide a service after taking a $27,000 deposit.

Detective Senior Sergeant Craig Bolton said both British nationals came to the Auckland City financial crime unit’s attention while it investigated a painting scam.

“In early March, the pair allegedly dropped a flyer in a Mt Albert mailbox advertising a fake painting company,” Bolton said.

“Unfortunately, the unassuming victims have engaged the services of the bogus company and handed over $27,000 as a deposit.”

Bolton alleged a person showed up the next morning and carried out a lazy sanding job on the exterior over the next two days, then never returned.

“Police are very keen to hear from anyone in the Auckland region, or further afield that might have received such a flyer and have handed over any money.

“If you haven’t received the services that you’ve put a deposit down on, it’s highly likely you’ve been scammed and we need to hear from you.”

The fake company failed to provide a service after taking a $27,000 deposit. Photo / 123rf
The fake company failed to provide a service after taking a $27,000 deposit. Photo / 123rf

Andrew Yeshua Glauberman, 21, appeared in the Auckland District Court this week and pleaded guilty to two fraud offences and a handful of shoplifting offences.

Glauberman’s associate, 29-year-old Thomas Jay Taylor, has fled the country and today had a warrant issued for his arrest for obtaining by deception.

The Counties Manukau east area prevention unit had previously arrested Glauberman and his associate for five shoplifting offences and obtaining by deception at a Manukau hardware store.

Glauberman will remain in custody until he is sentenced on September 11.

“If Taylor returns to New Zealand, he will receive a welcoming committee from New Zealand Police and he will be arrested,” Bolton said.

Bolton said these charges send a firm message to foreign nationals that think New Zealand is a soft target: “Think again.”

“Kiwis take a very dim view of scammers and those who seek to take advantage of our good nature, and this offending is not welcome here,” Bolton said.

“We have a team of very committed fraud detectives who are working hard to prosecute this offending.

“These visitors underestimate the stance our courts are taking on this offending. Police are opposing defendants’ bail and in many cases bail is being refused.”

Police said they’re continuing to work with Immigration New Zealand to combat this type of migrant offending.

The Auckland City financial crime unit has prosecuted 14 foreign nationals over three years.

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you