ZB ZB
Sport
100 Years of ZB
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

Listen: 100 Years of ZB Podcast hosted by Mike Hosking

Coroner questions why nobody stopped intoxicated driver before fatal crash

Author
Sarah Curtis,
Publish Date
Sun, 23 Aug 2026, 8:43am
Don Craig Tataurangi, 36, died on August 22 last year after losing control on a moderate right-hand bend on Pipiwai Rd at Ngāraratunua, near Whangārei. Photo / NZME
Don Craig Tataurangi, 36, died on August 22 last year after losing control on a moderate right-hand bend on Pipiwai Rd at Ngāraratunua, near Whangārei. Photo / NZME

A coroner has stressed the importance of intervening when someone intends to drive after drinking, saying a Northland man’s intoxication would likely have been obvious before he got behind the wheel.

Don Craig Tataurangi, 36, died on August 22, 2025, after being thrown from his vehicle when he lost control on a moderate right-hand bend on Pipiwai Rd at Ngāraratunua, near Whangārei.

Tataurangi was driving with a blood-alcohol level of 207mg per 100ml of blood, more than four times the legal limit for drivers 20 and over.

In findings released last month, Coroner Ian Telford ruled Tataurangi’s death was accidental.

Telford found he died from blunt-force chest injuries after being ejected from the vehicle, with alcohol intoxication, cannabis ingestion and a compound leg fracture contributing to his death.

Telford said the crash was “yet another highly preventable fatality on our roads”.

“Put simply, Mr Tataurangi should not have been driving on public roads that evening. He was unlicensed and intoxicated.

“It is likely that Mr Tataurangi’s intoxication would have been apparent to those around him before he got into his car that evening,” Telford said.

The coroner heard Tataurangi lived in Pipiwai with his mother and two children and worked at a Poroti kiwifruit orchard.

After finishing his shift about 4.30pm, Tataurangi stayed at work drinking until about 10pm. He then drove to Kamo, where he bought alcohol and McDonald’s before heading home.

About 10.10pm, a motorist travelling west on Pipiwai Rd was overtaken by Tataurangi’s vehicle. A short time later, the driver came across a crashed vehicle and realised it was Tataurangi’s.

Tataurangi’s body was found about 10m from the wreckage.

The road where the crash happened included a series of reverse curves marked with a 55km/h advisory sign, although the posted speed limit was 80km/h.

Police investigators estimated Tataurangi was travelling between 88 and 101km/h when he lost control. They estimated the maximum speed at which the corner could be safely negotiated was 72 to 87km/h and believed speed also contributed to the crash.

The vehicle careered across a grass verge for about 37m, jumped a 10m-wide culvert and struck the opposite bank before rolling a further 32m.

Tataurangi was driving on a cancelled learner’s licence and his vehicle’s warrant had expired in October 2023.

Telford said the death was a reminder of the dangers of drink-driving and the importance of intervening when an intoxicated person intended to drive.

As in an earlier case, he would refer this to the New Zealand Transport Agency for consideration of public safety messaging around bystander intervention, Telford said.

“By drawing attention to these matters, it is hoped that people will think twice before driving while intoxicated and that those who witness such behaviour will take active steps to prevent it.”

Coroner Ian Telford.  Photo / Tara Shaskey
Coroner Ian Telford. Photo / Tara Shaskey

The coroner’s findings highlighted the importance of seatbelts.

“While it cannot be said with certainty what the outcome would have been, his chances of survival would have been significantly greater had he been wearing a seatbelt,” Telford said.

Whangārei District Council commissioned an independent fatal crash report from Northern Civil Consulting Engineers, which said the road surface was in a “polished” condition. It noted 10 crashes in the area between 2020 and 2024, with a further four in 2025 before Tataurangi’s.

However, the coroner said the council had begun addressing the road’s deficiencies. Telford endorsed the ongoing improvement work and said he did not consider further recommendations necessary.

Sarah Curtis is a news reporter for the Northern Advocate, focusing on a wide range of issues. She has nearly 20 years’ experience in journalism, most of which she spent reporting on the courts in Gisborne and the East Coast.

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you