ZB ZB
Sport
100 Years of ZB
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

Listen: 100 Years of ZB Podcast hosted by Mike Hosking

Teen critically hurt in Epsom rampage is awake and talking

Author
RNZ,
Publish Date
Mon, 17 Aug 2026, 4:08pm
Three cyclists were hurt during the incident in early August. Photo / RNZ, Marika Khabazi
Three cyclists were hurt during the incident in early August. Photo / RNZ, Marika Khabazi

By RNZ

The teenage cyclist who was allegedly run over by a man in a stolen four-by-four in Auckland is now conscious and talking.

A police spokesperson said they remain in contact with his family, and for privacy reasons they will not comment further on his condition.

A 49-year-old is before the courts and faces a range of charges in relation to the violent rampage in the suburb of Epsom on August 5.

In less than eight minutes he is said to have allegedly assaulting a jogger, taking a car and running down three high-school-aged cyclists before killing a dog.

The man faces 17 charges including intent to cause grievous bodily harm, which has a maximum penalty of 14 years’ imprisonment.

The man is due back in the Auckland District Court on September 4 by which time a psychologist evaluation will have taken place.

Andre Lipa, a witness to the man’s arrest, described the aftermath at the time as a “war zone”.

“I saw the five bikes absolutely buckled and smashed on the side of the road with an ambulance and one person being attended to, and then further down there were two or three cars just in the middle of the road that had been hit,” he said.

This story was first published on rnz.co.nz

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you