ZB ZB
Sport
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

'I'm innocent from any wrongdoing': Parker opens up on failed drug test

Author
Liam Napier ,
Publish Date
Thu, 21 May 2026, 1:59pm

'I'm innocent from any wrongdoing': Parker opens up on failed drug test

Author
Liam Napier ,
Publish Date
Thu, 21 May 2026, 1:59pm

Joseph Parker has vehemently professed his innocence, suggesting he was contaminated, and hopes a judgement for his failed drug test will soon allow him to resume his boxing career.

Parker failed a voluntary fight-day anti-doping test following his 11th-round stoppage defeat to British heavyweight Fabio Wardley last November after trace elements of cocaine were detected in his system.

Other than issuing a statement expressing his surprise at the test result, and stating he did not take a prohibited or performance-enhancing substance, Parker has since stayed silent on the issue while cooperating with UK Anti-Doping (UKAD).

In Auckland on Thursday, though, while co-promoting David Nyika’s IBF world cruiserweight title eliminator against Floyd Masson at the North Shore’s Eventfinda Stadium on August 8, Parker opened up to share his side of the drug case story.

“From what happened in the last fight I’m innocent from any wrongdoing,” Parker told the Herald.

“Whatever people say or think I do not care. I’ve done nothing wrong and I’m waiting for a judgement from UKAD. I’ve given all the evidence that we can provide from our team so we’re just waiting for a judgement they give.

“I got contaminated. I’m not sure by who. It’s either someone I know or I’m not sure. It’s one of those weird things.

“I did four drug tests in camp and passed them all and then I fail on fight day. Who in their right mind would take drugs on fight day, especially when you’ve had the best camp of your life?

“People don’t understand that. They think this and that. I’ve come to a place where I do not care what people think about me anymore.”

Parker’s fight with Wardley was billed as an eliminator for a shot to challenge heavyweight king Oleksandr Usyk for the four recognised world titles and the right to be crowned undisputed champion.

While Wardley did not get that chance he was elevated to WBO world champion after Usyk vacated that belt.

“With everything hovering around that fight who in their right mind would take drugs and tarnish your career, your reputation but also that fight,” Parker said. “There’s no drug that could help you in that fight. Why would you do it on fight day?

“I’ve been fighting for 13 years and I haven’t failed a drugs test. For the biggest fight of my life – with the world championship dangling right there – why would I? It just doesn’t make sense but for those who don’t know everyone has their own opinion.”

Parker has been forced to sit on the shelf and wait more than six months for UKAD to hand down their ruling.

Earlier this month, Wardley lost his WBO title in a brutal war with fellow British brawler Daniel Dubois.

Parker was scheduled to fight Dubois in February, 2025, for the WBO title only for the Brit to claim sickness and pull out on the eve of their clash in Saudi Arabia.

Wardley and Dubois are now locked in a rematch agreement but these headline fights remain within reach for Parker, depending on the UKAD judgement.

“I think it will be within this month that we should get a judgement on the whole case. I thought because we’ve given all the evidence we would be cleared soon, but it’s dragging on. Whatever they decide I just want to get into the ring this year.

“If I can get cleared or if it’s a light ban just get it over and done with so I can get in the ring to fight these guys.

“If I’m fighting Wardley at 50% of what I can do because of something that happened on fight day imagine being 100%. I know I belong at the top. Just get me there.

“I’m ready to give it everything I have for the next two years. This dragging on is giving me more time to add on to my career.”

While unable to box professionally, Parker remains active behind the scenes after travelling to the UK to spar Tyson Fury before his comeback win over Arslanbek Makhmudov. Parker will also attend Usyk’s fight with Rico Verhoeven in Egypt this weekend.

“Despite everything that’s happening it’s great to get these opportunities to attend these big events. It’s only going to be extra motivation watching these fights. It will give me a boost while I’m staying ready and training.

“The best part of the whole thing is quality time with the family. Other than that it’s a waiting game. As a fighter you want to fight and I’m not able to do that. The journey has ups and downs but that’s life.”

As for Nyika’s world title eliminator, Parker expects the Kiwi to push past Masson and challenge Britain’s Viddal Riley for the IBF title later this year.

Papua New Guinean-born Kiwi welterweight Sheilla Yama is also likely to fight in a IBF world title eliminator on the same Auckland card.

“I expect David to win. He needs these types of fights. If he wants to be fighting for a championship of the world again, whether it’s against Jai [Opetaia] or the other champions, these are the fights that need to be made in order to get the experience and get to the top. It’s the perfect fight at the right time.”

Three weeks into his training camp Nyika can’t wait for his third pro fight on home soil.

“I’m so blessed with these opportunities,” Nyika said. “This is the first time I’ve come back and thought ‘this is how it’s supposed to be’. I’ve come away from a pretty dark and gloomy chapter but this is what it’s all about.

“I can outpoint Floyd to a wide decision but depending on a lot of things - I know he wants to box in some ruthless gloves. If I wear them, I don’t think he’ll be able to take my power so I think it will be an early stoppage.”

Liam Napier is a Senior Sports Journalist and Rugby Correspondent for the New Zealand Herald. He is a co-host of the Rugby Direct podcast.

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you