Former Warriors half backs 22-year-old to step up after Luke Metcalf injury
Former New Zealand Warriors and Kiwis playmaker Motu Tony is backing 22-year-old Luke Hanson to join Chanel Harris-Tavita in the halves following Luke Metcalf’s injury.
St George Illawarra Dragons-bound Metcalf pulled up with a right hamstring injury after converting Alofiana Khan-Pereira’s intercept try against the Broncos, immediately leaving the field with a pained expression and a few choice expletives.
With Tanah Boyd out for the season with an ACL tear and Te Maire Martin also sidelined with a hamstring issue until next week, Warriors coach Andrew Webster will have to call on a fourth-choice halfback.
Five-eighths Harris-Tavita stepped into the halfback role in the 40-6 win over the Broncos in Brisbane, and looks the obvious choice with the South Sydney Rabbitohs looming in Sydney on Saturday.
New South Wales Cup halfback Jett Cleary, who has reportedly requested a release to join the Penrith Panthers, is an outside chance of making his NRL debut. Reserve grade five-eighth Luke Hanson has one appearance this year for the Warriors against the Newcastle Knights back in March.
Fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has played five-eighth before, but copped a two-game ban from the NRL judiciary for his hip-drop tackle on Broncos opposite Reece Walsh.
Tony, who played stand-off for the Warriors in the 2002 grand final, told The Big League Podcast that Harris-Tavita should slot into the No 7 jumper.

The injury to Luke Metcalf (centre) could require Luke Hanson (left) or Jett Cleary (right) to step up. Photos / Photosport
“Webby’s shown he backs players that have done the job for him. I think Luke Hanson will probably come into the mix now. Charnze most likely would have been playing six outside Chanel with Taine Tuaupiki at the back.
“But with Charnze missing for a couple of weeks, I think Luke Hanson will get a look in, and Te Maire Martin won’t be too far away after this weekend.”
Tony said Harris-Tavita has been a quiet achiever for the Warriors over the last couple of years, but came to the fore amid adversity against the Broncos.
“It’s really useful to have someone that’s playing so well on the ball and running the team. He’ll be the main shot-caller with the ball in hand, but it doesn’t change too much from what he does well, which is applying pressure with his left-foot kicking, but also defensively he’s very solid too.”
The Warriors have never won an NRL Premiership and have only twice made the grand final, in 2002 and 2011.
Given the Kiwi side’s form, squad and ladder position, Tony agreed falling short of a maiden title would be disappointing.
“There’s windows of opportunity that you get as a player. The Warriors have had small windows. This year seems like another window – and you can’t take it for granted.
“Case in point is the Brisbane Broncos. They actually won a grand final and now they won’t even make the finals. So you can’t say ‘next year’ because you’re not guaranteed to be in the finals next year.”
Metcalf’s tenure for the Warriors has been plagued by injury, most notably the ACL rupture he suffered at Suncorp Stadium last year.
The 27-year-old made two underwhelming performances at five-eighth earlier in the year, before tearing his hamstring.
Metcalf just made a barnstorming return to the NRL, scoring two tries in the 28-12 win over the Panthers at Mt Smart.

Former Warriors half Motu Tony thinks anything other than a maiden NRL Premiership title in 2026 would be disappointing. Photo / Photosport
Tony acknowledged Metcalf is incredibly unlucky with injury.
“You could tell by his grimace after he took that kick at goal that something had happened. He gave us something to really hold our hats on against the Panthers and then showed some nice touches early on against the Broncs, but just really unfortunate.”
The Warriors sit third on the ladder, equal with the Panthers on 36 points, with the Sydney Roosters in the box seat to clinch the minor premiership on 38.
The 34-point margin against the Broncos claws the Warriors back to within 10 of the Panthers’ superior points differential.
A top-two finish earns a home qualifying playoff, with the winner getting a week off and a home preliminary final.
Tony expects the minor premiership race to go down to the last game.
“No one can get too comfortable. But heading into the finals, you really want to be in control and have mastery over your game plan and the combinations you will run out in the finals,” Tony said.
“You might want to rest players, but your first and foremost priority is to win. I know I’m making it sound so easy, but all you have to do if you get into the top two is win two games and then you’re into the big dance, the grand final.”
Luke Metcalf scored two tries in his NRL return against the Penrith Panthers. Photo / Photosport
Tony emphasised how critical home advantage is to playoff chances.
“Sleeping in your own bed, going to your local coffee shop as part of your game-day routine or going to see your parents or loved ones. Those are the things you don’t get to do when you’re playing away from home.
“The other challenge it puts on the away teams is they’re in a foreign country, even though they’re used to coming to New Zealand. Once that Mt Smart Stadium crowd kicks in, it’s a really tough and hostile environment to play in.”
After the Rabbitohs, the Warriors round out the regular season with home contests against the Knights and the Sea Eagles.
Nathan Limm has been a journalist with Newstalk ZB and the NZ Herald since 2020. He covered the Netball World Cup in Cape Town in 2023, hosts The Big League Podcast and commentates rugby and netball for Gold Sport.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you